Monday, April 11, 2005

Learning styles...

Got to know somemore of the nice and interesting people in my class ^^ Plus we girls managed to get 2nd place for the 12X10 metres relay! Hurray! (The boys fared worse but it wasn't their fault, since they combined with another class for it)
Been somewhat lost during lectures so far when it comes to Chemistry and Biology. The handouts lets you fill in the blanks but this isn't really suited to my learning style. I prefer to sit through the lectures listening to the teacher and not double-tasking through it. I am just not the type who learns through writing stuff down.
I recall a seminar I attended last year whereby they analysed your learning styles:
  • Visual: Learner who is good at memorising with picture aids.
  • Aural: Learner who is good at listening for details.
  • Read-Write: Learner who remembers best by writing down notes.
  • Kinestic: A usually inqusitive learner who learns best by exploring on his own and doing hands-on modules.

For me, I'm the Visual/Aural learner. The shared problem with both learning styles causes me to be easily distracted. And that means I cannot multi-task well. And I really dislike jotting down notes unless it's a practice on some new type of questions. I'm just simply not the read-write type of people.

Today's GP lecture was about education, and it brought up a point which stated that the Asian system of education was more structured than the US system. There is also criticism that education is just not catered to the various possible learning styles of the students. I really can't help agreeing.

No comments: