Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Nothing in the mailbox...

Well, not really wanting a rejection letter to be sent to me soon. In a world of the mightily practical, no-nonsense Singapore education system, the odds are against me that I would be receiving an acceptance letter. I've been wondering if I screwed the portfolio by giving informal fanart stuffs (I see the people reviewing them shaking their heads), random midi compositions (irrelevant to art and design, unless you count the creative aspect of it) and stupid writings (heck, I haven't been taught how to write a poem, I just write simply through my feelings). Yet, I'm trying to keep my optimism up since I haven't grab any letter with my name in the mailbox this week.

At least 3 people received theirs yesterday. They must be really good to be accepted on the first batch of letters being sent out. Expected minimoto to get in anyway.

I wonder if the batches are per week(s) or once every few days.

Bad news: The number of acceptance letters to be sent out are dwindling. Or everything was sent out today and the rest are all rejection letters.
Good news: There are probably more of acceptance letters to be sent out. It's highly possible that those who got theirs today are previously from a polytechnic.

There could be 2 possiblities. Either they are not sending the letter right now because I'm on a waiting list or maybe because my results are plain too lousy for them to accept me. And to keep me from thinking that they are being biased towards my results, they have to withhold the letter till later on.

Meh, I'm just being paranoid, since mewie has not received hers either.

I really do want to get into Uni. The reason is not so big for the status of being an undergraduate. For the experience of it, as well as a good chance to set my direction in life straight, it is.

Actually, I don't believe much in degrees. They aren't godly. Today, skills are the main deciding factor to your employability. What more, even if you get a good degree, good grades, good school, but a lousy EQ and an attitude to work for the money alone, you'll just end up as a souless freak and possibly an extremely mean person (With this sort of attitude: "Heck, my job is just to go through my working hours, why should I care to run down to this lady to sort out her case when I should be enjoying my off-day?", rather than "Hey, I need my off-day badly for my children, but if it is really bad, I'll see what I can do for the lady while trying to keep my promise to bring them out today.").

However, what my Dad said is rather true, I would rather go through a formal university education than to go for some stupid non-accredited degree from SIM or MDIS. Ok, I do admit that I am concerned about the status too, since my roots are ironically in Singapore, not somewhere else. Yet, there's no denial of the difference of experience between going to a private university and going to NTU/NUS/SMU. In a way, "if you get into NTU/NUS/SMU, you are good." In a way, the education in NTU/NUS/SMU is still more dedicated that private universities, who care more about the revenue they get. Correct me if I'm wrong, I might be.

Still, I don't want to give out bad vibes to people by saying that I come from a private university. They'll go like "Huh? what is that?" or "I don't think that's a good university" or "You must be really rich to pursue this option". At best, "remarkable for someone like you" (It can go either way, as a sarcasm or a genuine compliment, depending on circumstances).

I just want to be proud of my life.

No comments: