Thursday, May 29, 2008

Mabinogi, simple fun

I hate to say but I've just been plagued by a period of boredom again. Wanted to try a online RPG game called Mabinogi which is said to be different from many other RPGs, especially with the music composing and playing component. This is the first that I have ever seen and it is pretty cool.

Nexon America issued a block on foreigners due to licensing limitation so I decided to hop to China server. Well, technically not supposed to be there at all, but who cares. Even Korean players made their way there. That is what I heard from this guy player who was from China by chance who knew not much about English other than the words "hello, goodbye, hentai" (dot dot dot...) or whatever that was. The strange thing about this game is the characters will age. You are given ages 10-17 to choose from, max age is 25. I regretted taking 17 which was the default age as I was told that 10 was what players normally start with. Oh shucks but never mind, I'm not a very serious player. So when a 10 year old character is paired with a 17 year old, it is just plain weird looking.

And I spent over 2 hours being stuck in a quest due to not understanding what the NPC wanted, but then again I'm not a seasoned player of this game to know anything at all. I must have annoyed the heck out of that guy but oh well...at least he didn't scold me, maybe because I'm a girl player and he seems slightly crazy as well (maybe due to the effects of boredom). But we had slightly serious communication issues at times due to complex chinese characters, crappy IME pinyin input system which I didn't know how to use very well (especially when finding complicated characters with weird pinyin like "female"), me not seasoned to the game, gameplay lag, my knowledge of Chinese is below par from the others, yet enough to communicate barely. I can say I was struggling to keep up.

Day 1 was quite happening but I think I'll take a break or just strum to tunes once in a while from now on. I only joined as I'm curious about this little feature but got roped into a quest unexpectedly. Oh well.

Now here are some videos, enjoy.



Oh and take a look at the other videos below. It's sweet. Duet and bands wow.



No comments: