Friday, May 23, 2008

Sea tidings and net on the move woes

Ok so what's happening after the entry before the one where I blogged outside the library with my Nintendo DS...

Firstly, it was shellfish hunting with family at beach. So here is our catch:

Photobucket


Also, at the beach, after being bored of digging, decided to play with my sis and cousin. So my sis was pretty bored and I decided to just make some sand sculptures. Called her along to help, she was agreeable with the idea and so we ended up making this cat sculpture. The others thought it was a lion lol but whatever goes hehe.

Photobucket


So yeah, and also, I have gotten a slot 2 memory expansion set for my Nintendo DS, so I could use the DS Browser now to surf internet outside! My first success is outside Bedok Library, around Converter area. Later on, I found out that Burger King Bedok Central also has Wireless@sg service so I don't know which one helped me to connect to the net.

Photobucket

However, a lot of the places have really badly-maintained Wireless@sg service, the biggest culprit being MacDonalds fast food chains. The signals are strong, but it cannot be connected. One of the errors I got was something about IP address cannot be detected.

Today, after lessons, went to Bukit Merah's KFC to have a meal. Took out the NDS and tried to connect to Wireless@sg service there. It worked! (Connection signal 2/3 bars) Little wonder that another guy was there with his laptop surfing the internet too. Later on, walked to MacDonald's nearby, and tried to connect again. (Connection signal 2/3 bars) Cannot connect to access point or IP address cannot be detected error. Bad. Walked to Bukit Merah Bus Interchange to wait for bus. (Connection signal also 2/3 bars). Same error as whatever MacDonalds give. Note that the locations are pretty far apart so the signals are confined to a certain radius around them.

On the bus, being bored and frustrated that the Wireless@sg service cannot work everywhere, I just decided to test out every single Wireless@sg service I can detect from the bus. Guess what? On the way back home, I managed to connect to some Wireless@sg service. The two I managed to connect is those at Far East Plaza and Velocity. At a good 1-2km distance away from them as well. And oh my gosh, it was from a bus!

Bus Number 65 also came side-to-side with the bus I was on. Tried to find a Wireless@sg on there, but there was not. The service is provided by Nokia on promotion of N81 and N90 with Wi-fi capabilities, and given to certain bus numbers, 65 is one of them. Now I'm not sure if the service is confined to only the bus or not, but it can only means two things: the bus's Wireless@sg service is spoilt or the signal is extremely weak.

And so, it means that the problem is with certain Wireless@sg locations and not with the Nintendo DS. Wrote in emails to Singnet Wireless@sg and MacDonalds Wifi yesterday. Will see what they have to say about it soon.

Don't know if this is old but Bedok's MacDonalds just got a facelift. Oddly, Mr MacDonalds is now hidden inside.

Photobucket

That's all for now, till next time.

No comments: